Protect yourself from uninsured drivers

DATE | 05/20/19
array(5) { [0]=> array(5) { ["file"]=> string(28) "uninsured-drivers-150x95.jpg" ["width"]=> int(150) ["height"]=> int(95) ["mime-type"]=> string(10) "image/jpeg" ["url"]=> string(83) "" } [1]=> array(5) { ["file"]=> string(29) "uninsured-drivers-300x190.jpg" ["width"]=> int(300) ["height"]=> int(190) ["mime-type"]=> string(10) "image/jpeg" ["url"]=> string(84) "" } [2]=> array(5) { ["file"]=> string(29) "uninsured-drivers-480x304.jpg" ["width"]=> int(480) ["height"]=> int(304) ["mime-type"]=> string(10) "image/jpeg" ["url"]=> string(84) "" } [3]=> array(5) { ["file"]=> string(29) "uninsured-drivers-768x486.jpg" ["width"]=> int(768) ["height"]=> int(486) ["mime-type"]=> string(10) "image/jpeg" ["url"]=> string(84) "" } [4]=> array(3) { ["width"]=> int(900) ["height"]=> int(570) ["url"]=> string(76) "" } } ===========array(5) { [0]=> array(10) { ["media_query"]=> int(0) ["url"]=> string(83) "" ["width"]=> int(150) ["next_break"]=> int(150) ["ratio"]=> bool(false) ["acceptable_h"]=> int(0) ["acceptable_w"]=> int(0) ["max_image_width"]=> int(1400) ["image_full_width"]=> int(900) ["percent_width"]=> int(1) } [1]=> array(10) { ["media_query"]=> int(150) ["url"]=> string(84) "" ["width"]=> int(300) ["next_break"]=> int(300) ["ratio"]=> bool(false) ["acceptable_h"]=> int(0) ["acceptable_w"]=> float(150) ["max_image_width"]=> int(1400) ["image_full_width"]=> int(900) ["percent_width"]=> int(1) } [2]=> array(10) { ["media_query"]=> int(300) ["url"]=> string(84) "" ["width"]=> int(480) ["next_break"]=> int(480) ["ratio"]=> bool(false) ["acceptable_h"]=> int(0) ["acceptable_w"]=> float(300) ["max_image_width"]=> int(1400) ["image_full_width"]=> int(900) ["percent_width"]=> int(1) } [3]=> array(10) { ["media_query"]=> int(480) ["url"]=> string(84) "" ["width"]=> int(768) ["next_break"]=> int(768) ["ratio"]=> bool(false) ["acceptable_h"]=> int(0) ["acceptable_w"]=> float(480) ["max_image_width"]=> int(1400) ["image_full_width"]=> int(900) ["percent_width"]=> int(1) } [4]=> array(10) { ["media_query"]=> int(768) ["url"]=> string(76) "" ["width"]=> int(900) ["next_break"]=> int(900) ["ratio"]=> bool(false) ["acceptable_h"]=> int(0) ["acceptable_w"]=> float(768) ["max_image_width"]=> int(1400) ["image_full_width"]=> int(900) ["percent_width"]=> int(1) } }
Uninsured and underinsured motorists are, unfortunately, more common than you might think. Could you be at financial risk if you’re in an accident with one?

Despite a mandatory minimum car insurance requirement that includes uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage, over 14% of drivers in Wisconsin do not have auto insurance (Uninsured Motorists, 2017 Edition, Insurance Research Council). Nationally, one out of every eight drivers does not carry auto insurance coverage.

Injuries to you or your family from an auto accident can create considerable financial hardship if the at-fault driver has insufficient insurance and/or has no other financial means to compensate you for your losses. However, if you find yourself in this situation, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries and other costs from your own UM/UIM coverage.

It’s not only important that you have UM/UIM coverage, but that you have the appropriate amount of coverage to avoid a potential financial catastrophe.

What is UM/UIM coverage?

UM coverage protects you and your family if you are injured by another driver in a hit-and-run accident or if the other driver has no auto insurance.

UIM coverage is triggered when you’re in an accident with an at-fault driver who has insufficient limits of liability insurance to cover your damages.

What does it cover?

UM/UIM coverage covers situations including:

  • Bodily injury that you, your family, and other occupants of your vehicle incur when hit by an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run driver.
  • You and your family if, as a pedestrian, you or they are injured when struck by an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run driver.

UM/UIM coverage also covers:

  • Reimbursement for lost wages.
  • Medical costs.
  • Pain and suffering.
  • Emotional distress.
  • Future wages if your career is negatively impacted because of the accident.

How much coverage should I have?

While all Wisconsin drivers are required by law to have UM and UIM coverage on their auto policies, the amount of coverage you choose is an important consideration.

Having an adequate amount of UM/UIM coverage can help protect your finances. The Wisconsin state minimum for UM coverage is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. UIM coverage can be rejected, but if taken the minimum is $50,000/$100,000. However, Member Benefits typically recommends much higher minimum coverages.

When considering how much coverage you need, think about the real costs associated with injury, lost wages, and more if you’re in an accident with a UM or UIM motorist. However, every situation is different. Let one of our personal insurance consultants help determine the right amount of coverage for you.

The bottom line

Don’t risk your financial security if you’re in a situation where someone else is not covered. Make sure you’re properly insured—we can help you get the coverage that is best for you.

Questions about UM/UIM insurance coverage? We’ll help you become a more knowledgeable insurance consumer. Call 1-800-279-4030 or sign up for a phone consultation.