Maybe you set aside time for spring cleaning every year, or perhaps Marie Kondo (a popular “tidying expert”) has you feeling inspired to start clearing out the clutter. But what good is all that cleaning if you haven’t done what you can to ensure a safe home? Here are some home safety tips to add to your spring cleaning plans.
- Check cleaning supplies and dispose of those leaking or no longer used.
- Replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check fire extinguishers and the expiration date.
- Clean and inspect your dryer vent.
- Get a professional inspection of your air conditioning system.
- Check locks on windows and doors, secure valuables and outdoor equipment, and test/update your home alarm system if you have one.
- Review or create your family emergency plan. Visit ready.gov for guidance.
- Update your family first aid kit.
- Clean eavestroughs and inspect the roof—DIY or hire a professional.
- Check recreational equipment like swing sets, bikes, etc., for any needed repair or replacement.
- Before you start digging for that new yard project, call Diggers Hotline to get underground utility lines marked.
- Inspect your outdoor grill. On gas grills, make sure hoses are intact and the igniter works.