Insurance brochure


Renting a Vehicle

Frequently asked questions

Do I have coverage if I rent a moving truck?

No. We do not provide any coverage because moving trucks are much different from the vehicle you usually drive. You need to purchase coverage from the rental company.

However, you do have some coverage if you rent a utility or moving trailer to help you move your belongings. In this case, your policy extends your liability coverage to the trailer and also provides up to $500 for physical damage to the trailer.

What is the difference between Rental Car Coverage and Rental Reimbursement Coverage?

Rental Car Coverage extends your current policy coverages to a vehicle you rent as a temporary substitute for a vehicle listed on your policy. The coverages match those of the vehicle for which you are substituting. Rental Reimbursement Coverage reimburses you for the cost of renting a car when your vehicle is disabled for more than 24 hours due to an accident. This coverage, which must be purchased as an addition to your policy, provides a per-day and total maximum benefit based on the option you select.

What is a substitute vehicle?

A substitute vehicle is one you are using in place of (instead of “in addition to”) another insured vehicle for a similar purpose. If you are renting a vehicle and your insured vehicle is being used by another insured person during the same time period, the rental vehicle is not considered a substitute.

For example: You and your spouse take a trip to Arizona where you rent a car. The two cars you own stay in Wisconsin but will be driven by your two licensed children while you are away. Since your personal vehicles are being used during the same time you are renting another vehicle, the rental car is not considered a substitute, and your policy provides no coverage for the rented vehicle. The auto coverages you have for the vehicle you are replacing extend to the rental vehicle as long as it meets the qualifications for coverage.

Am I covered if I rent a car in another country?

Your WEA Property and Casualty Insurance Company (WEA P&C) auto policy provides coverage in the United States and Canada. There is no coverage provided in Mexico or other foreign countries (other than Canada).

Does my coverage transfer to any rental vehicle regardless of the type of vehicle I rent?

No. There are some vehicles that are not eligible for coverage under your policy. Generally speaking, they are either exotic or high performance vehicles (e.g., Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.). We suggest you call us if you plan to rent a vehicle that is substantially different from the one you own.

Does my policy pay for the cost of a rental car if I am involved in an accident?

No. However, you can add this protection to your policy by purchasing the Rental Reimbursement Coverage.

Can I obtain additional protection if I use my credit card?

Usually. Each credit card company has its own rules. Please check with your credit card company to see what protection is included when using their card.

The rental car company wants me to pay them for lost income, diminished value, and/or administrative charges because I damaged their car in an accident. Does my insurance policy cover this?

No. Your policy does not provide coverage for this risk. While you are potentially responsible, the rental car company must prove that they lost income because they had no other vehicles to rent.

What you need to know before renting a vehicle

When you rent a vehicle, whether it’s an auto or a moving truck, you’ll want to be sure you have protection against any damage you may cause to the rented vehicle or other property and liability for injuries to others.

People are often surprised to hear that most auto insurance policies offer no coverage for a rented vehicle. Your WEA P&C auto policy extends coverage to a vehicle you rent (for no additional charge). However, the vehicle must be:

  • Rented for 30 days or less (non-business use).
  • A substitute for a vehicle listed on your policy.
  • Substantially similar to your own vehicle.
  • Driven by a member of your household who is listed on your policy or anyone who has permission to use the vehicle.

Rental car companies offer limited protection. This protection usually includes a collision damage waiver and limited liability protection. Additional exclusions, such as “loss of use” and “diminutive value” may also apply.

This brochure answers some of the more common questions about renting a vehicle. However, if you still have questions after reading this brochure, give us a call at 1-800-279-4030.

WMBT 2699-290-0417 (W)

Effective April 2017. Policies and programs described are subject to change at any time.