RSS Feed

Financial Fitness Blog

College-bound insurance coverage

(Insurance) Permanent link   All Posts

Mark Blog PhotoIf you have a son or daughter going off to college this fall, you are likely already deep in preparations. I recently received a question from a member regarding insurance coverage for their daughter who was going to college in Iowa. She was taking one of the family vehicles with her and the member wanted to know if it could still be covered on their WEA P&C auto insurance policy.

Here is the answer to his question. Students attending college outside of Wisconsin who take a vehicle with them may continue to insure that vehicle under their parents’ auto policy with a special out-of-state rating for that vehicle. However, if the child resides in that state full-time due to a job, etc., that driver and vehicle will be removed from the parents’ policy at the renewal.

If your college-bound child will be taking a vehicle with them to school, take a few minutes now to contact your insurance company to make sure you have coverage for your situation. You do not want to send your child (and vehicle) off without proper protection.

Mark Dannehl, Personal Insurance Consultant